Saturday, October 22, 2016

Business/Family Rules


Once again this week I will discuss an amazing podcast in the world of business that I viewed.  This is the video (The Entrepreneur and the Family) that spoke to me the most.  Steve Blank was asked a question regarding women and the balancing of family life and being a busy entrepreneur.  His response seemed so simple, yet very inspired.  “Set Rules”.

Having a small family, I always dream of the day where I will own a business and spend more time with my family.  There more I learn about start-up businesses the more I realize that they are very time consuming and overwhelming at times.  You no longer just show up and work your eight hours and go home to your family.  You now run the place and if you allow it to, it will run you and your personal life.

Blank’s response of setting rules and keeping them will provide you the opportunity to take control of both aspects of your life.  He discussed setting the rule of having dinner every night at seven.  As soon as his kids were put into bed, he would work remotely for the rest of the evening.  He also mentioned that except for the half day of going to work with dad on Saturdays, the weekends were dedicated to his children. 

I really like that he included his children in his business.  That is a helpful way of teaching his children about his business and spending time together.  I look forward to being able to do something similar with my sweet family.

No comments:

Post a Comment