Saturday, October 15, 2016

What were you born to do?

This last week I watched a very inspirational podcast titled "Do What You Love" by Tom Kelley.  At the beginning of the podcast he quotes Francis Ford Copolla who said, "Do what you love.  You'll be better at it."  This is when the light bulb lit up above my head.  Of course! Why does providing for your family have to be a daily chore?  Everyone should be able to find a way to make a living doing what they love. 
Of course there are exceptions - I love to sleep and have yet been able to make living from catching all of those z's.
However, I have an amazing friend who loves to play the trumpet, and he was able to make a living from it that most would not have thought of.  He is the main trumpet instructor at one of the most known US universities.  He does what he loves, teaches what he loves, and travels to many great locations.  He was able to pull off playing the trumpet everyday and getting paid for it!
Ok, so this is where I hit the road block... what do I love to do and what was I born to do?  I have always just worked because I need to help provide for my family.  I like my job, but I'm not passionate about it.  What now?
Tom Kelley also tells a story Jim Collins told about himself.  He discovered what he loved to do by writing in a lab notebook.  It wasn't a journal where he wrote what he did day-in and day-out.  He wrote down what it was that truly brought him joy everyday.  Through this activity he was able to discover his true passion... teaching about systems.
Well, I end this post with the one thing that brought me the most joy today -- being outdoors with my children on a crisp fall day.  Here's to more crisp fall days and happy moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment