Saturday, November 19, 2016

Entrepreneur Interview Takeaways


As I was able to interview a local entrepreneur I learned five great lessons that I look forward to using in my entrepreneurial endeavors.
These takeaways are in no specific order.

1.       The beginning years are the hardest.  Starting your own business is always a risk because you are competing against others who have years of experience, and sometimes you are even competing against machines!  Believing in your work and your capabilities will aid in trusting that you are capable of accomplishing just as much or even more.

2.       Be open to other possibilities.  The entrepreneur I interviewed has a MA in Architecture and is now the owner of a dental lab.  He knew he wanted to do something with art, but he never imagined that creating unique and detailed crowns for patients would satisfy the artist in him.  I know that Heavenly Father will lead me in the direction he wants me to go where I can serve my fellow man to the best of my abilities.

3.       Take risks! Not taking risks leaves you exactly where you already have been.  If you want to discover what you are truly capable of you will take those risks.  Taking risks and believing in your abilities help move you forward towards your goals.

4.       Involve your family.  The entrepreneur I interviewed has spent countless hours away from his family because he has wanted to provide for them and have a successful business.  Although he has been able to do both, he did it at the cost of missing out on spending valuable time with his family.  I know that success can be accomplished with the love and support of your family.  They too will learn to appreciate what you love and they will help you in accomplishing your goals (and your children will learn what hard work is).

5.       Don’t be afraid of hearing “No”.  People will turn you down and refuse your services, but that cannot stop you from the continual process of trying.  This is one of the biggest obstacles I will have to overcome.  I am an introvert and have a hard time talking to strangers and sometimes even those close to me.  I will have to find the courage to speak to others about the small things in life so I can find the courage to approach them when I want to offer them something I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment